Film review: Caught on a train (1980)


This is an above average made-for-TV-film. A gem. Only 80min, but with a lasting impact. Produced by the BBC.

The story follows a group of strangers on a train journey in Germany, we get to know especially a British 30something man and an elderly woman. The film is a character study on people from different generations. Dramatic and thoughtful, I highly recommend this film, it has aged well and can easily be rewatched. Goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make something memorable. You can watch the whole thing on youtube.

I’ve always loved films involving trains, on a personal level because my parents met for the first time on a train. Maybe this is why Before Sunrise (1995) is a favourite of mine.

I like how strangers can strike up a conversation on the railway or relax and read a book without having to worry about keeping an eye on the road. A great way to travel, long old style journeys like in this one seem to be less common these days with cheap flights. Although some still travel Europe by train with the interrail.

Here are some other titles that come to mind where trains are key: Narrow Margin (1990), Runaway train (1985), Transsiberian (2008), Zentropa (1991), Octopussy (1983), Silver Streak (1976), 2046 (2004),

Readers, any other train movies you can think of? Let me know in the comments...

Youtube

IMDB

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about trains but I also like movies hat revolve around them. I think it's an extension of the road movie, another genre I love. That pic at the top of the page is wonderful, I'll have to check out the film. Another great train movie is The Lady Vanishes - both the Hitchcock version and the remake are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, some train movies have a road movie feel to them.

    BTW, the picture is not from the film, just a non-movie image I love.

    Thanks for the recommendation, will add The Lady Vanishes to my "to see list"

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails