In appreciation: The music of Burial

Prompted by Eric from The Warning Sign, I recently ventured into the world of dubstep, more specifically the music of the producer Burial, who has been releasing LPs and EPs from 2005 to the present.



Album: Burial - Burial (2006)


Gutted









Album: Untrue - Burial (2007)


Etched Headplate










Album: Street Halo - Burial (2011)


Stolen Dog










Album: Kindred - Burial (2012)


Loner (previously shared on the blog)







Album: Truant / Rough Sleeper - Burial (2012)


Truant







For me, Burial's material works best by listening to the atmospheric albums in their entirety, so recommending individual tracks is a tricky thing. My experience is that especially the two LPs from 2006 and 2007 are fairly melancholic, so would be good for a rainy day, or after a break-up. I didn't love all I heard, some of it, Night Bus for example, is very powerful, just too gloomy for my taste. Anyhow, above are my personal selections.

Listeners, thoughts on the music of Burial? Which are your favorite dubstep albums or artists?

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you mentioned rainy days because when I first heard about Burial it was touted as great music to drive around London, at night, in the rain. I find that I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to a bit of Burial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @keith: You should check the comments on Night Bus link,almost brought a tear to my eye the comment of the girl going round on the bus at night. Definitely mood dependent music, I agree

      Delete
  2. The dubstep albums I have is a compilation called 5 Years of Hyperdub as well as few other records by UK artists. I don't like the American take on the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Sounds like you've listened to a bit more dubstep than I have. I might give "5 Years of Hyperdub" a listen, thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

      Delete
  3. That Kindred EP is excellent. Listened to it so many times while commuting last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bonjour Tristesse: I like that Kindred EP as well

      Delete
  4. My knowledge of dubstep is pretty much restricted to Burial, heh, but I'm glad you dug into his brief discography. Untrue is a fantastic record, though I completely agree with you and evl keith above that you've gotta be in the right mood to listen to it. It's great to see Burial putting out new material -- hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

    Now, whatever you do, don't try to tackle any American dubstep (aka "brostep"). That is some of the worst music imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Eric: I'll skip the American dubstep/brostep then, not any love for that from either you or void99 in comments :)
      Maybe the recent EPs will eventually convince Burial to put out a full-length studio album, with some of those tracks included, who knows. I could see that happening.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails